Sunday 21 January 2018

Scotland Coast to Coast Day 2: Grantown to Ardaneaskan

20th September 2015

Up with the lark and after a grand but strict breakfast we loaded up the panniers and headed off. Should probably have stopped for a second breakfast at the Wee Puffin but alas it wasn't open yet! It was a grand morning with a light(ish) south westerly wind that wasn't giving any trouble as we headed towards Inverness. Before reaching the Big Smoke we called into Graeme's sister's for tea and cake, and then some more cake, after all, we had a long way to go!

The views from the Kessock Bridge were really good, as we trundled along the walkway, safely off the main road. After the bridge, we found a set of steps off the walkway, which led down to a much quieter road that ran westwards along the north shore of  the Beauly Firth, before the main road to Ullapool for a spell, prior to heading south-west (into the wind), and the long haul to Lochcarron.

Inverness from the Kessock Bridge

Beauly Firth from the Kessock Bridge
Ready
I have to admit I really struggled with the headwind. It wasn't particularly strong, but was enough to slow me up so that I couldn't get into the Big Ring and was left frailing and snailing along, whilst Graeme powered off into it. I could see him miles ahead as the the road ran along beside a river - at least it was flat! Eventually, he stopped to wait for me, and then had to put up with me whinging and complaining about how terrible it all was, while I horsed a mars bar. He then suggested that we try drafting and sharing the duties on the front. This was the first time I'd experienced drafting, as I mostly ride on my own, and what a difference it made - sitting on Graeme's wheel was soooo much easier, and he was good enough to keep checking his pace to make sure I didn't get dropped. I recovered enough to do a bit on the front too, and we fairly raced along the next section, eventually reaching the shelter of the trees and escaping the headwind section for the day.

Looking back north-east, after the long headwind slog
Before too much longer we reached Lochcarron, which was the last point where we could get food and recovery beers before reaching our B&B for the night. There was plenty of grub and a couple of pints slipped down easily. We figured we'd better not have any more till we reached the B&B, but each bought a couple of takeaway tinnies to see us off to sleep after another hard day.

View from the hotel

Recovery beers
Tennants Bidons
After the grub and the beers, the 10 km to the B&B flew past, with the last couple of kms proving very exciting, after i "accidently" flicked the V's at a pissed guy behind me in a pick-up who was trying to get by but needed me to stop to let him past. Eventually I waved him by, and then he stopped up ahead to "have a word" with me. I whizzed past him again, and soon reached the B&B, where I hid behind a large lorry. At that point, I also remembered Graeme was behind me - ooops! Yer man had stopped him, and was indeed very over the limit, but had been all smiles. No harm done, but a dodgy moment none the less!

In to meet our friendly hosts, and arrange breakfast, before necking the tinnies and crashing out. We'd made it across to the Atlantic side of Scotland in two days, and only had a short day still to go. It would be rather steep though, as we were heading up Beallach na Ba....



No comments:

Post a Comment